Friday, January 29, 2010

How To Mix Patterns

As one who is always freaked out about things not coordinating, it is odd that I am attracted to the idea of mixing patterns. I've seen it done really well, and then I've seen it look like a hot mess. Here's some tips on how to conquer this difficult feat for both interiors and fashion:
  • Make sure one color repeats in the outfit/room

  • Combine loose prints with structured ones

  • Blend small designs with larger scale ones, i.e. gingham with bold flowers

  • Clinton Kelley suggests stripes as a neutral that can be paired with anything

  • Use patterns that are complimentary without being too matchy-matchy.

Shall we see some examples of this phenomenon done right? See how well I've taught you (or rather Real Simple taught you. Hey, even I needed some help!) and figure out why these work.





Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment