- Make sure one color repeats in the outfit/room
- Combine loose prints with structured ones
- Blend small designs with larger scale ones, i.e. gingham with bold flowers
- Clinton Kelley suggests stripes as a neutral that can be paired with anything
- Use patterns that are complimentary without being too matchy-matchy.
Shall we see some examples of this phenomenon done right? See how well I've taught you (or rather Real Simple taught you. Hey, even I needed some help!) and figure out why these work.