Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Terrarium

Quick, you only have 4 more days!! Need something fast and DIY that doesn't look like it was made in a preschool class? A Christmas Terrarium is the perfect answer! Now I am no gardener, in fact, my thumb is slightly on the black side at times, but this is super easy and adorable. I was inspired to make one when I took a trip to Terrain in Glen Mills and saw all their gorgeous holiday planters.




I was not about to pay $65 for one (especially with the sort of black thumb I speak of), so I took a bunch of inspiration pics and made it myself:


First, gather your supplies. You will need:

  • Potting Soil (there is special terrarium soil that I did not buy. I used succulent soil I had in my basement. A possible answer to my blackish thumb)
  • Moss
  • Charcoal
  • Mini plants (I used a fern, mini pointsetta, and another terrarium plant I thought looked winterty)
  • Decorative accessories (I had mini pinecones from a potpourrie set, mini branches, and fresh holly berries that unfortunately do not live super long)
  • A glass container (any kind will work)

Line the bottom of the container with 1-2" of charcoal. This allows proper drainage of water since the container does not have holes:
 

Add the potting soil and arrange your plants how you'd like them:
 

Add the moss and arrange the decorative accessories:
 

And walah! I had fake snow that I sprinkled over the top to add an even more festive touch:
 


I've been watering it about once a week with a glass spray bottle and the fake snow stayed. And it's still alive!! It's a gift that's super festive for the holiday, but still looks good into the winter season. It only took me 20 minutes to put it all together and I only had to purchase about $25 worth the materials since I had some stuff at home. Happy planting!
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I always tell everyone I have a 'pink thumb'. Lol! I kill all plants too! haha!

    ReplyDelete