Sunday, April 15, 2012

Life Updates

I finally have a free moment, just me and my laptop. I actually stayed home the WHOLE weekend, which was miraculous. A bit of a staycation if you will. I ate breakfast at home versus grabbing something on the run (gasp!):



And yes, that's cheese in the corner. Didn't realize it was acceptable to have cheese in the morning until I went to Paris.

I walked my little pup and did some yard work cleanup to prep for spring flowers:


And found the new Domino! Needless to say, it's already been devoured (as well as that Starbucks Caramel Macchiato ice cream)...


It was a productive/relaxing weekend that I'm definitely in a hurry to repeat, especially after a hectic work week. My interior decorating company had a table at a women's expo for a women's organization in my area this past Friday. The theme was Spring Renewal:



Btw, those tulips are the coolest thing ever. They're called indoor tulips and last way longer than fresh ones. So pretty, right?

The only crappy portion of the weekend was when the topic of money came up in our household. Yea, I know... Anyway, it's no secret that I love to shop. And that we want to build our house next year. Obviously these two things don't add up to a nice equation. It doesn't help when we have all these lovely fashion blogs (ahem) and pinterest, etc. to feed the desire of owning the latest and greatest in fashion and interiors. But what happens when after you buy that 100th purse or throw pillow you didn't need and start to feel that surge in your gut. Yea, that's guilt my friends. The shopping guilt. We've all had it. Some of us more than others, like yours truly. 

I'm tired of having this guilt after a purchase. I actually want to start wearing the clothes I have in my wardrobe instead of adding more to it until I have no idea what to wear. Trust me, it's possible to have so much clothing you feel overwhelmed when getting dressed. So my dear Fashionable Interiors readers, with you I'm going to share my quest to wear what I have/decorate with what I own and be content with it. Of course I can't quit shopping cold turkey, but it's absolutely possible to add trendy pieces here and there without spending a fortune. It's so hard when stores are coming out with new things on a weekly basis and emailing you so you can know all about it. Here's my plan:
  • Step 1: Get my email off the all these stores' email list. No I do not need to know your tops are now buy 1 get 1 50% off for the third time this month. I'm good thanks.
  • Step 2: Use cash. I've decided to take a lump sum of cash at the beginning of the month and when it's gone, it's gone. Everyone knows you spend less when you have to use cash. I do have store cards that come with great perks, but most allow you to pay off the card at the store immediately after you make a purchase. Rewards plus no credit card bill? Perfect!
  • Step 3: Find inspiration and use what you have. I've always been a huge proponent of this. And here's my take:

I loved the above look from a recent Zara lookbook. The skirt was $80. I already had a red pencil skirt, so did I really need to buy another one, just because it had the super cute peplum vibe going on? Sure, if I want to live in our little townhome forever. So here's what I accomplished by using what I already have:



I also wanted to do some redecorating for Spring, and just repurposed some of the things I already had:




I have to say I'm disappointed in myself for not following some advice I've mentioned on the blog before from my one of my favorite books, Entre Nous - A Women's Guide to Finding Her Inner French Girl:

When the French girl shops, it isn't a solitary act of buying something new. It's part of a lifelong process of editing her environment, making small but meaningful additions to her home, her closet, her life.

So here's to only adding small but meaningful things to our lives. I'll keep you posted on my journey :)

P.S. If you'd like to follow me on instagram, I'd love for you to! My name is tendenzafi. Thanks!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment